Founder, Owner/director, Head Instructor
Alyssa is a choreographer, dancer, performance artist, writer, and educator who draws upon a diverse range of dance, Pilates, and fitness vocabularies, techniques, and art. Alyssa uses her life experiences to enhance and inspire the lives of people through various forms of movement. A native of Cleveland, Ohio, Alyssa started her dance education at the age of three and has been dancing ever since. Alyssa has been trained in New York, Ohio, and California and studied various forms of movement, ranging from dance forms such as Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Hip Hop/ Break dancing, Lyrical, Pointe, Liturgical, Belly dance, Modern (Taylor, Mark Morris, Graham, Limon/Humphrey, Fenley), Contemporary, and African dance; along with other forms such as Pilates, Yoga, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Basketball, Cheerleading, Fitness training, Cardio dance, and more.
- MFA, Dance Choreography and Performance - Mills College, CA - 2002
- BA, Philosophy, Dance, Political Science - The College of Wooster, OH - 2000
- Certified Pilates Mat Instructor - Alter Center, San Francisco, CA - 2004
- Certified Pilates Equipment Instructor - Alter Center, San Francisco, CA - 2009
- ZUMBA® Fitness Certified, Basic - 2011
- PMA®- CPT - 2012 (current member status)
- bootybarre® Plus Certification - 2014
- bootybarre® Flex and Flow Certification - 2014
- Weight Management Specialist Certification - American Council on Exercise - 2015
- bootybarre® Pre and PostNatal Certification - 2016
- bootybarre® Sculpt Certification - in progress
- CPR/AED Certified - Current
PiYo Live Instructor
Melissa is a Fitness and Wellness Coordinator, instructor, trainer, and educator who always strives to help everyone she encounters in their own health and fitness FEEL their best. Ever since she was a little girl, Melissa has always been active through sports and playing outside with her neighborhood friends. It wasn’t until she was pursuing her undergraduate degree at Ohio University when she started taking group fitness classes at the recreation center and quickly fell in love. Within a year she had become certified and began leading classes.
- M.S. Kinesiology and Health Promotion- University of Kentucky - 2014
- B.S. Sports Sciences- Exercise Physiology - Ohio University - 2010
- PiYo® LIVE Instructor - 2016
- National Recreation and Park Association Aquatic Facility Operator - 2016
- Pink Gloves Boxing Amateur Trainer - 2015
- TurboKick® LIVE Instructor- 2015
- POUND® Fitness Pro- 2015
- CardioPump™ Kettlebell Instructor - 2015
- YogaFit® Instructor- Levels 1 and 3 - 2012
- Mad Dogg SPINNING® Instructor – STAR Level 2- 2011
- ACSM Certified Exercise Physiologist - 2011
- AFAA Certified Primary Group Exercise Instructor - 2009
- American Red Cross Professional Rescuer CPR/AED/First Aid - Current
- American Red Cross Professional Rescuer CPR/First Aid/AED Instructor - Current
Elaine Dowling is a classically trained ballet dancer, teacher, and choreographer working throughout Northeast Ohio. She studied ballet with renowned Cleveland teachers Marguerite Duncan and Nancy Arcury. Elaine was a principal dancer with North Coast Ballet Theatre, and continues to train with Sonja Kraljevic. She has also studied modern dance with Joan Meggitt, Megan Pitcher, Megan Johnson, and Kelli Sanford. Elaine frequently performs at Case Western Reserve University, where she has worked with international choreographers and danced the works of the legendary dancer and choreographer Martha Graham. She has also performed with Coventry Dance Company and RED.
- BA, Speech Communication and Theatre - Case Western Reserve University, OH
- CPR Certified, Current
Born in Erie PA to Hungarian parents, Alyssa moved on to graduate high school in Garrettsville OH and moved to Budapest Hungary to complete her Bachelor's degree. She holds a Spanish language diploma from the Madrid Chamber of Commerce, is TESOL certified, and has experience teaching English to non-native speakers. Alyssa has been a lifelong fan of group fitness and is an avid runner. She attended both her first barre and yoga classes at The Movement Factory in 2014 and loves to compliment her running routine with strength training and flexibility exercises. She has loved the results so much that she is currently working on her bootybarre Plus and Flex and Flow certification.
- BA International Business Relations, Oxford Brookes University, Budapest Hungary 2012
- TESOL Certification 2012
- bootybarre Plus - in progress 2017
- bootybarre Flex and flow - in progress 2017
- Current CPR/First Aid Certification, Red Cross
Monica is a new Pilates instructor at The Movement Factory!
Monica started her Pilates journey in 2013. She began to study the Classic Method of Pilates in Cleveland under the guidance of Peggy Gomillion, a Pilates Core Dynamic coach and is now working on her Comprehensive certification on Contemporary Pilates through Balanced Body University with third generation instructor Troy McCarthy.
Monica likes to create a comfortable environment, which brings better student-teacher communication, thus leading to a better overall experience for the student.
- Pilates Core Dynamic Pilates Training - Reformer, Mat
- Balanced Body University Pilates Training - Reformer, Cadillac, Mat
Jenny Filippelli Pitts
Jenny took her first ZUMBA® class in 2010 and liked it so much that she decided to become certified and teach her own classes in and around Cleveland. Her passion and energy for fitness shows in every class she teaches, mixing Latin & Spanish inspired beats with modern pop & dance music that will make you want to move.
- ZUMBA® Fitness Certified, Basic 1 - 2011
- ZUMBA® Fitness Certified, Gold - 2012
- ZUMBA® Fitness Certified Kids/Kids Jr. - 2012
- ZUMBA® Step - 2016
- CPR/AED/First Aid - American Red Cross - 2016
Hip Hop Instructor
London is on leave 2016-2017 to train in Los Angeles, CA at IDA, Hollywood. He will be back for select workshops during this time.
Front Desk Staff, Bootybarre Apprentice
Amber started at The Movement Factory in April of 2014 as a client, having never taken a group class before, and immediately fell in love with the variety of classes and the atmosphere. She is originally from Tiffin, OH, where she studied ballet as a child, was a three-sport athlete throughout high school and rode horses. She played volleyball in college and fitness has always been an integral part of her life. She is currently a high school French teacher and has coached volleyball. She started working the front desk in February of 2015 and feels that The Movement Factory is a perfect fit, because of the positive, encouraging environment and comraderie that motivates clients to achieve fitness goals.
- BA, French Mercyhurst College - 2003
- BA, Secondary Education - Mercyhurst College - 2004
- bootybarre Plus - in progress 2017
- bootybarre Flex and Flow - in progress 2017
bootybarre Instructor, ZUMBA® Instructor
Brandy Grove is a certified bootybarre Plus and ZUMBA® Instructor. Originally from Stow, Ohio, she grew up studying and competing in ballet, tap, jazz, and hip hop, as well as baton twirling. Upon entering college, Brandy ventured into latin social dance, joining a local performance salsa team. She became ZUMBA® certified, teaching for Kent State University’s Student Recreation Center and at Cuyahoga Falls Dance Center. Brandy got her booytbarre Plus certification in February of 2014. She taught bootybarre at Cuyahoga Falls Dance Center before moving to 121 Fitness at Case Western Reserve University, where she is currently a doctoral student in Macromolecular Engineering. Her passion for living a fit lifestyle by different means – be the cycling, lifting, or dancing- have pushed her to remain active in the barre/fitness and dance world throughout every step of her career path. She is excited to join The Movement Factory and share her passion with you!
- ZUMBA® Fitness Certified, Basic 1 - 2012
- bootybarre certified - 2014
- BS physics - Kent State - 2013
- Ph. D. Candidate, Macromolecular Science and Engineering
- Case Western Reserve University - in progress
Hip Hop Instructor
Anthony Jamison was born and raised in Cleveland Ohio. In 2008 Anthony graduated from Collinwood High School and then continued his education at Defiance College before transferring to Cleveland State University. Anthony first started dancing with Alyssa Lee Wilmot in her dance classes at Tri-C. He has been dancing for six years doing both hip hop and break dance, as well as taking on new challenges such as ballet, jazz and contemporary. Anthony is also exploring his acting career; he has been featured in movies such as The Avengers, Captain America Winter Soldier, Insurgent, Batman vs Superman, and many more!
Jennifer Lenhart, CYT/E-RYT 200, found yoga in 1994 and began teaching in 2009. She is honored to have studied in Cleveland at the Jivasara Yoga School under Marni Task (an advanced certified Jivamukti teacher & Anusara inspired instructor). Around the same time she found yoga, she also discovered the teachings of Buddhism and developed a seated meditation practice. Having experienced the transformative and healing power of yoga and meditation, Jennifer is passionate about sharing them with others.
In class with Jennifer, you'll hear inspirational music, do some devotional chanting, consider how the teachings of yoga & Buddhist philosophies can be applied to modern life, be asked to bring awareness and focus to the breath, be encouraged to find optimal alignment in the postures, and be invited to bring mindfulness to all areas of the practice -- body, mind, and soul. And probably enjoy some laughter, too. Learn more at www.jenniferlenhart.com.
- BA, English, Northland College, 1996
- MA, English, Cleveland State University, 1998
- Certified 200-hour Yoga Teacher, Jivasara School, 2009
- Experienced, Registered Yoga Teacher with Yoga Alliance (E-RYT 200)
- Certified Thai Yoga Massage Practitioner, 2012
- CPR/AED/First Aid, Current
Personal Trainer, Yoga instructor, ZUMBA® instructor
Laura’s experience of physical and mental challenges of the U.S. military ignited her passion to pursue her Personal Trainer Certification in 2006. Since then she has obtained various credentials of many leading edge Group Fitness and Yoga formats: 200 Hour Yoga Certified, POUND, BUTI Yoga Level 2, ZUMBA®, Core Barre, Bootcamps, and Women’s Figure & Fitness. Yet after spending many years of pushing her body with overzealous workout regimes and countless hours instructing classes, not only was her body wearing down from exhaustion yet her passion for fitness began to fade. She began shifting to educating herself on other components of Holistic Lifestyle credentials to become part of her offerings: Living Food/Paleo Chef, Meditation, Intimacy Coaching, Reiki Energy Healer and obtained her BS in Alternative Medicine.
- Certified Personal Trainer - 2006
- ZUMBA® Fitness - 2007
- Living Foods Chef - 2008
- ZUMBA® Gold - 2009
- ZUMBA® Kids - 2009
- 2012 Core Barre - 2012
- 2014 BUTI Yoga Level 1 & 2 - 2014
- 2015 POUND Fitness - 2015
- 2015 200 Hour RYT - Yoga - 2015
- 2015 Reiki Energy Level 2 - 2015
- CPR - AED current
Growing up as a gymnast and athlete, Katie naturally gravitated towards Pilates at a young age. While living in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, she began to pursue a teaching career in both yoga and Pilates, earning her 600-hour classical Pilates certification through Power Pilates, and her 200-hour power vinyasa yoga certification. Katie’s career then brought her to Los Angeles, where she taught private and group yoga and Pilates for the past three years while continuing her education through a Pilates 400-hour bridge program. This summer, Katie and her husband found their way back home to Cleveland, and she is excited to share her passion and knowledge of Pilates with others. When not in the Pilates studio, either teaching or taking a class, Katie can be found doing yoga, hiking or hanging with her kids.
- Power Pilates Classical Pilates certification - 2010
- Power Vinyasa Yoga Certification - 2010
Shakti Flow Instructor
Kaitlan was talked into going to a Shakti Flow class two years ago and has been in love with the practice ever since. Shakti Flow originated in Hawaii where Kaitlan became certified and lived for almost three years. While there she learned a lot about how to respect the land, life, and live with the spirit of aloha. She hopes to bring the spirit and energy of the islands to Cleveland and incorporate it in to every class she teaches. Kaitlan takes inspiration from all facets of her life and tries to use these experiences to create a new and exciting class every time so that her students are never bored and everyone (including her!) are always learning and expanding. Kaitlan has been in to fitness since she was young, running track, playing volleyball, and competing in Irish dance. In her free time she loves to travel, hike, bike ride, read, and binge on Netflix.
- Shakti Flow Certification - 2014
- BA, Communications, Ohio University -2011
Barre Conditioning Instructor
Danielle is a New Jersey native who transplanted to Ohio for college in 2009, and now calls Cleveland home. She has over 17 years of dance training from studios in New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania - studying with Roxy Ballet School, Princeton Ballet School, Kent State, and also with various jazz choreographers in the Tri-state area. After sustaining knee injuries in 2007 Danielle decided to dance recreationally, and follow a nursing career.
- Beyond Barre Certified - 2013
- RN/BSN - Kent State College of Nursing - 2013
- BLS/CPR Certified - Current
Swing Dance Instructor
Valerie Salstrom is a full time professional swing dancer, teacher, performer, choreographer, judge and coach. She has adored swing dance since she first saw it as a little girl while watching old black and white movies at her Grandparents' home. In the early 1990s while living in the LA area, she discovered that swing dancing existed in real life and she has been smitten ever since. She founded the Cleveland based swing dance company Get Hep Swing in 1998. She has taught weekly swing dance classes and hosted two monthly dances in her home town for over 15 years. She frequently travels all over Ohio, the United States and the World teaching and spreading her love of swing dance. Valerie loves being in the class room sharing her ideas and she is eager to teach beginners through advanced dancers. Valerie has a very playful and fun attitude when it comes to teaching dance. Valerie loves exploring the history of swing dance and feels honored to have studied with some of the original masters. She is passionate about all of the forms of swing dance including charleston, lindy, balboa, shag and jitterbug/East Coast swing. She has won numerous national and international swing dance titles. Her most recent achievement was winning the balboa division at the 2014 National Jitterbug Championships at Camp Hollywood. Her proudest achievement to date happened at the 2014 International Lindy Hop Championships when two of the members of her after-school swing dance youth troupe; The Cleveland Junior Jitterbugs, won the title of Junior World Lindy Hop Champions.
Front Desk Staff
- B.S. in Special Education, Cleveland State University, in process
- American Red Cross CPR/First Aid Certified, current
Jasmine was born in New Orleans, Louisiana, but grew up in Cleveland, Ohio where she graduated from Avon High School in 2010. Jasmine has always had a love for both dancing and teaching. She began dance at an early age with Ballet and Baton Twirling. She attended college at Purdue University in Indiana, where she had the opportunity to study and perform Belly Dancing, Swing Dancing, Contemporary, and Jazz. Jasmine returned home and began attending Cleveland State University to complete her degree in Special Education and continue dancing Ballet, Jazz, Tap, and Hip-hop.
After a long search for a new studio, Jasmine first visited The Movement Factory in 2013 and fell in love with the atmosphere and style of the studio. While finishing her degree and working at The Movement Factory, she also teaches for Westlake City Schools and formed their summer Elementary Dance Club, K-3 performing arts group.
Shari is a personal trainer, Pilates instructor and educator with more than 2 decades of experience in dance and athletics. A native of Northeast Ohio, Shari began ballet training as a child and continued through high school. She took her first Pilates class more than 15 years ago and was instantly hooked, eventually becoming an instructor and studying with Pilates legend Elizabeth Larkham. Shari's others passions include tennis, and volunteering at the Cleveland Animal Protective League.
- BA - Kent State University
- American Council on Exercise: Personal Trainer
- American Council on Exercise: Group Exercise Instructor
- Balanced Body: Comprehensive Pilates Training
- Muscle Activation Technique JumpStart certified
- Johnny G. Spinning certified
- American Heart Association, certified Basic Life Support, CPR and AED instructor
- American Red Cross, certified First Aid & Emergency Care instructor
Jennifer Young began her yogic journey at The Movement Factory when it first opened its doors in 2013. Yoga became a source of strength and clarity for her and added a connectivity to herself and others looking to heal. She began a home practice and assisted friends and family with body aches and stress relief by sharing her personal growth through regular asana. Jennifer realized she wanted to deepen her own practice and become a yoga instructor and began Vinyasa training at Awaken Yoga. All life is Vinyasa-the flow that exists in and around all of us. Her teacher, Jennifer Langsdale, has taught her to design classes that weave mindful bhava and thoughtful sequencing to build strength, create space in the body and empower others in the mind, body and spirit.
- BFA Printmaking Kent State University-2005
- 200hr Vinyasa Yoga Teacher Training-Awaken Yoga Mentor, Ohio 2016
- CYT 200 hour Yoga Teacher